Paralinks Home
To The Worlds WheelChair Culture
Send Mail

This issue of Paralinks is dedicated to Gene Brown

Gene was injured in 1963 when they really didn't do much of anything except inform you your back was broken and you would never walk again. Gene spent a whole year between the hospital and rehab. He was the victim of a crime. He managed a bar in San Francisco.

He had gone in on Easter Sunday to do the books. The bar was closed. The entrance had a dutch door. Gene left the top half open while he sat behind the bar to work on the books. Four men entered the bar and demanded money. Gene gave them what money there was and told them there wasn't much as the bar had banked the day before. One man jumped over the bar, grabbed Gene and while Gene was fighting him off, the others jumped on him. One had a baseball bat. He knocked Gene unconscious. When Gene was out, he continued to beat him with the bat. Gene's spinal cord was crushed and his back broken in 4 places. He was left for dead. He was in a coma for a month. When he came out of the coma, he was like a quad. He couldn't move hardly anything. He worked very hard to regain as much as he could.

Over the years he developed tremendous upper body strength. He later participated in Wheelchair games as a weight lifter and shotput toss. He was very independent. He fished, camped, often alone, he loved football especially the 49ers, driving long distances, he loved to play on his computer and he loved me and our daughter without reservation. He was completely independent in his own personal care, working hard to figure things out so he could do it himself. In these last few years when his heart began to give him trouble, I loved taking care of him but he would still struggle with having to rely on me. He would often tell me your my wife, not my nurse. No matter how ill he got or how bad he felt, Gene worried about me and how I was doing.

The last thing Gene said to me was "honey, I can't wait to see you again. I love you so much and I miss you so much. I am going to hug you so hard when I get home you won't be able to breath." Gene was at the Seattle Veterans Hospital. He was due home in a couple of weeks. It was Saturday morning the 27th of January when he told me that. He died at 5:30 a.m. January 28th, slipping quietly away while he slept.

He will forever be my champion. Linda Brown

From: "gene a brown" <>
To: "Ma-Chine" <>
Subject: Re: Blessings/Paralinks
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:55:43 -0800